What to expect after a breast lift
As a woman and breast surgeon I can empathize with my patients who come to me for a breast lift consultation. Not only do my patients experience physical discomfort, sometimes they even suffer from a psychological impact on their self-esteem. I am here to help them. With that in mind I want to provide you with a brief overview of how a breast lift can improve your life.
With a breast lift, an improved, firmer and more youthful shape of the breasts can be achieved. Sagging and asymmetries can be corrected through the cosmetic procedure. If necessary and desired, the size of the breasts and nipples can also be reduced. If needed, not only can the breasts be lifted, but the nipples can be positioned higher in the upper third of the breast.
Breast lift is performed with these surgical techniques
During the surgical breast lift, which is performed in our clinic with the special MATFAS sedation anesthesia, the surgeon removes excess tissue while reshaping the remaining breast and lifting it. Which surgical breast lift method is optimal depends, among other things, on the size and shape of the breast, but also on the extent of excess tissue and the patient’s goals.
To tighten the breast, the anchor method, also called the T-scar method, the lollipop method or the donut method are usually deployed:
- The so-called anchor method or T-scar method is particularly common: Here, the surgeon makes an incision around the areola and vertically from the underside of the areola to the crease under the breast. The excess skin and glandular tissue is then removed, and the remaining skin is reshaped.
- In the lollipop method, the incision is made only around the areola and vertically to the center of the breast.
- In the donut method, only a circular incision is made around the areola. However, this is only possible if there is less excess skin and tissue.
What you should know: Healing after a breast lift
The recovery time after a breast lift depends on the type of surgical technique performed and the individual healing process. As a rule, it takes about one to two weeks until accustomed routines can be resumed. For this reason, at least one to two weeks are usually planned for sick leave.
A grace period of four to six weeks, during which the patient refrains from physically strenuous activities, is nevertheless recommended to ensure the best possible healing process.
What kind of pain occurs after a breast lift?
Various types of pain can occur for a short time after a breast lift: For example, the breasts may feel tender and painful after surgery.
Feelings of tension due to swelling in the breast area, bruising in the first few days after the operation, sensitivity of the nipples and restrictions on movement can also occur. How the patient is affected varies greatly from individual to individual. In most cases, the pain subsides within a week after surgery.
As painkillers, you will usually be given common analgesics such as ibuprofen or diclofenac, as well as antibiotics to prevent the risk of infection.
How to prevent swelling and scars
Your surgeon will give you specific instructions on the measures you should take to recover most quickly after a breast lift, what you should do and what you should better avoid.
Immediately after the operation, for example, there may be swelling in the area of the breasts, which will subside after a short period of time. Swelling can be minimized by lightly cooling the wound.
It is also important to know: scars resulting from a breast lift remain permanent, but fade over time. However, by considering the following self-help tips, you can already make a big difference:
- Immediately after surgery, support the breast with a compression bra. This promotes blood circulation and healing and should be worn for several weeks in consultation with the doctor.
- For optimal scar healing, it is advisable to clean the scars regularly and apply cream, for example Vaseline, Bepanthen or silicone gel without parabens. At Dr. Kelly we give our Dr. Kelly® Baobab Oil. A wonderful scar healing oil that promotes better scars.
- Scar creams should contain ingredients such as silicone, vitamin E or allantoin. These improve skin hydration and support the healing process.
- Regular massages of the scars stimulate blood circulation, which improves the skin’s nutrient supply and consequently reduces scarring.
- Direct sunlight should be avoided for the first months after surgery. If you do expose yourself to the sun, be sure to apply sunscreen.
- A healthy lifestyle without smoking and alcohol ensures a good oxygen supply. Additional vitamin and mineral supplements also promote the healing process.
- Sleeping in a supine position is also helpful for healing.
Since scarring is different for each person, complete prevention of scarring cannot be guaranteed. However, due to the above measures as well as the surgeon’s level of experience, the risk of scarring remains minimal.
Combining breast lift with breast reduction or breast augmentation
Some patients want to have their breasts reduced or enlarged in the course of their breast lift. In the case of sagging breasts, for example, a lack of volume can be compensated with an implant. Conversely, a breast that is too large and causes the patient headaches and back pain can also be reduced.
At Dr. Kelly, we pride ourselves as medical advocates for women’s well-being. We are dedicated to improving women’s lives. For this reason I wrote these lines to give you an overview about a breast lift. If you would like to find out more, or consult with me personally, please reach out to my team and we will take care of you. What matters to you matters to me.